Director of Nursing - DON
Join a team with a national reputation for excellence! Our mission is to serve Minnesota Veterans and their families. We do this by delivering quality health care, helping to secure benefits, and providing programs and services in higher education, claims, burials, outreach and Veterans’ preference. At the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA), we not only consider it our duty to provide the highest level of care to those who answered our nation's call, we believe it is an honor.
MDVA recognizes that a culturally competent workforce is critical to meet the needs of all Minnesotans. MDVA is committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility at our workplace to support employees as they grow in their careers with the State of Minnesota.
Working Title: Director of Nursing - DON
Job Class: Director Nursing
Agency: Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 09/01/2023
- Closing Date: 10/02/2023
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota Veterans Affairs Dept / Vets Home-Mpls-Managerial
- Division/Unit: Minneapolis Veterans Home / Mpls Nursing Department Supv
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift/8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Days of Work: Monday - Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $43.94 - $63.02 / hourly; $91,746 - $131,585 / annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 220 - Managerial
- FLSA Status: Exempt - Executive
- Telework Eligible: No
- Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities: Yes
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you’ll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
It pays to consider a rewarding career with the Minnesota Veterans Home in Minneapolis! You may be eligible for a new hire bonus of $5,000! Earn a competitive wage, have affordable and comprehensive insurance benefits, a retirement plan, paid time off, and more! Relocation expense reimbursement may also be available to the applicant selected for this position.
Ready to start something new and be part of a warm and supportive environment for staff and residents? We welcome you to apply and consider joining and building our team at the Minnesota Veterans Home-Minneapolis as the Director of Nursing!
As the Director of Nursing, you will directly supervise three experienced Assistant Directors of Nursing and provide management, leadership and direction for the clinical departments to assure that resident's needs for therapeutic programs and services are being met, and the residents of the Minneapolis Veterans Home are receiving the highest level of quality care possible.
The Minneapolis Home is located on Minnehaha Avenue, which has connecting highways and public transportation options for an easy commute. The beautiful 53-acre wooded campus includes mature oak and pine trees, nature trails and biking paths overlooking the Mississippi River.
Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your resume clearly describes your experience in the areas listed below and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held. Only applicants whose resumes clearly demonstrate fulfillment of each of these minimum qualifications will be considered for this position.
- Current Minnesota Registered Nurse license, in good standing without conditions or restrictions (NOTE: If you are not currently licensed in Minnesota, you must be able to obtain Minnesota licensure prior to hire. You will be asked to provide documentation of your licensure either at the time of interview or prior to hire);
- Master's Degree in Nursing or closely related field, plus 3 years of nursing management/supervision experience in a licensed skilled care facility, hospital, or other comparable health care facility providing nursing direction of professional staff;
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing or closely related field, plus 4 years of nursing management/supervision experience in a licensed skilled care facility, hospital, or other comparable health care facility providing nursing direction of professional staff.
Other required experience/knowledge includes:
- Knowledge of computerized technology, including healthcare, scheduling and payroll applications.
- Experience with the development of Resident Focused Care Delivery Models.
- Demonstrated application of state licensing regulations, Vulnerable Adult Law, Health professional licensing and ethical standards and National Patient Safety Standards
- Demonstrated leadership skills to direct and supervise diverse staff, budgets, programs, and projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated communication and persuasion skills to lead, develop consensus, document and promote alignment of multiple interests.
- Demonstrated change management skills to proactively plan and guide new efforts in response to ever changing conditions.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking skills to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate long-term goals and objectives, practices, procedures and policies in a resource rich environment.
Preferred Qualifications Experience with Federal Veterans Administration. Demonstrated application of Federal and Veterans certification standards. Nursing management/supervision experience in a 50+ bed licensed skilled care facility, hospital, or other comparable health care facility providing nursing direction of professional staff.
A Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) background check will be conducted on finalists for this position. Finalists must pass the DHS background check.
A Tuberculosis (Mantoux) screening (or chest x-ray) is required prior to employment.
Employment reference checks will be conducted on finalists. This may include a review of documentation related to job performance and contact with the applicant's former employer(s).
Why Work for Us
We are committed to continually developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our state and the populations we serve. The varied experiences and perspectives of employees strengthen the work we do together and our ability to best serve the people of Minnesota.
A recent engagement survey of State of Minnesota employees found:
- 95% of employees understand how their work helps achieve their agency’s mission
- 91% of employees feel trusted to do their jobs
- 88% of employees feel equipped to look at situations from other cultural perspectives when doing their job
- 87% of employees report flexibility in their work schedule
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Public pension plan
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota state agencies are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employers. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.