Chief Financial Officer
Horizons Specialized Services Horizons works in partnership with families and communities to expand opportunities for individuals with, or at risk of, developmental disabilities. Multiple positions available. Apply now! $1500 hiring bonus for some positions!
Chief Financial Officer
Responsible for the provision or coordination of budgeting, accounting and financial services for Horizons and for the Soda Creek Apartments.
Executive level position serves as the chief financial spokesperson for the organization, providing operational and programmatic support. Oversees all corporate fiduciary activities including budget, tax, and accounting functions.
As a member of the Leadership Team, maintain a leadership role in the agency with sensitivity to the needs of people with I/DD and the principles and core values of the agency.
MBA or CPA preferred; or BA with five years of experience in accounting.
Demonstrated ability to use accounting principles. Ability to utilize computer systems for accounting purposes and monthly production of a variety of reports. Knowledge of Microsoft GP, Management Reporter and Paycom would be beneficial. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Docs and remote communication technologies required.
Ability to independently organize time and be accessible to the Leadership Team and Finance Department. Demonstrated ability to work as a team member and participate as a member of the Leadership Team.
Possess excellent communication abilities (verbal and written) to enable effective interaction with staff, clients, families, providers, elected officials, vendors, and the community.
- Prepare an annual budget with the assistance of the Executive Director and members of the Leadership Team. Present budget to the Board of Directors for approval.
- Oversee preparation, coding, and submission of billing to various funding sources, including Health First Colorado (Medicaid), State General Fund programs and Early Intervention.
- Track accounts receivable to ensure timely collection of billings.
- Post revenues to appropriate programs.
- Oversee preparation and submission of 990 tax return including completion of required schedules for external auditor.
- Monitor income and expenses in relation to the budget and inform the E.D. and Leadership Team of findings on a monthly basis. Prepare and present monthly finance report to the board of directors including the Balance Sheet and Income Statement.
- Serve on Board Finance Committee and provide the Committee with detailed financial statements and ad hoc analysis.
- Ensure financial record systems are maintained in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), with appropriate internal controls.
- Review and record journal entries and maintain general ledgers for accurate reporting.
- Reconcile bank accounts.
- Oversee banking activities of the agency and monitor operating cash flow.
- Monitor use of asset budget.
- Monitor use of payroll system to ensure proper coding to general ledger.
- Review coding of accounts for deposits and accounts payable. Approve accounts payable and credit card expenditures.
- Assist with the development and implementation of an agency strategic plan. Advise Leadership Team and Board of Directors on all strategic matters related to budget management, cost benefit analysis, forecasting needs and securing funding.
- Assist E.D. to ensure compliance with state and federal contract requirements.
- Oversee all financial audit activities including preparation of audit schedules for external auditors.
- Maximize cash flow and investments. Provide guidance on use of endowment funds.
- Assist with maintenance of appropriate insurance on vehicles, equipment, personnel and property. Assist with annual comparison of pricing and coverage options for health care.
- Project management to include those projects that the E.D. determines need to be accomplished within a specified time period.
- Assist with grant and fundraising opportunities and reporting.
- Supervise positions within the Finance Department including the Finance Coordinator, Accounting Clerk and the HUD Coordinator. Complete Human Resource requirements for hiring, reviewing and compensating these employees.
- Manage and grow a team of professionals, leading and directing the performance of their responsibilities to further the agency’s goals.
- Ensure maintenance of property tax exemption for all agency owned properties and prepare annual reports.
- Oversee audit of client accounts.
- Oversee HUD Section 811 program including inspections and paperwork. This includes the submission and preparation of annual budget for Soda Creek Apartments.
- Prepare annual Mill Levy financial report and budget for presentation to Routt County Commissioners.
- Maintain fixed asset and depreciation schedule.
- Complete annual registration of Secretary of State Charitable Solicitation.
- Provide financial orientation for all new staff and board members. Assist with annual retraining of all existing staff.
- Coordinate upgrades to existing accounting software and provide input on any potential changes to information technology.
- Other duties as assigned by the E.D.