Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
Crawford County Commission on Aging is seeking applicants for the position of Homemaker/ CNA.
Provides in-home care including homemaking, personal care and respite care to adults of Crawford County as specified in individual care plans and allowed under Office of Services to the Aging Operating Standards.
Starting pay is $15.00 per hour
- Assist homemaking clients with basic light housekeeping tasks including dusting, vacuuming, mopping, cleaning bathrooms and kitchen, making beds and laundry. Also assists clients with shopping for necessities and running errands as necessary.
- Assist personal care clients with activities of daily living including assistance with bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, transferring, eating and ambulation.
- Assist caregivers in their absence with respite care including the provision of companionship, supervision and/or assistance with activities of daily living for persons unable to be left alone.
- Encourages clients to be self reliant helping to retain feelings of independence and self esteem.
- Solicits feedback from clients at each visit to ensure all tasks are completed and to the client’s satisfaction.
- Maintains client confidentiality only sharing information with appropriate COA staff on an as needed basis.
- Keep Assistant Director informed of client progress or problems as they arise.
- Maintains work records in a neat and orderly fashion indicating accurate time spent for each client also indicating appropriate program(s).
- Observes safety and security procedures for the protection of both employee and client.
- Contacts appropriate COA staff with referrals for clients requesting assistance in locating resources.
- Promote, advertise, and publicize programs of the Commission on Aging to foster and encourage participation.
- Distribute the monthly Senior Gazette, receipts for client donations and other items needing to be delivered to clients served.
Other Job Duties
- Provide back up coverage for all other Homemakers on an as needed basis.
- Participate in meetings and training as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director.
Any equivalent combination of education, training, or experience which demonstrate skills and abilities will be considered. However, the following is preferred:
Experience and Training
Minimum of a high school graduate or equivalent is required. Two years professional caregiving experience, Nurse’s Aide certification, current CPR and First Aid certification all preferred, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of confidentiality rules regarding client information.
- Ability to maintain good personal hygiene.
- Ability to properly document time and activities in client’s home. Ability to be flexible with schedules as changes occur.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including listening and positive feedback.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately both verbally and in writing. Ability to work independently, organizing and structuring own work.
- Ability to exercise initiative.
- Maintains appropriate boundaries with clients.
- Ability to perform duties thoroughly and accurately.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Commitment to a high standard of ethical behavior. Treats others with respect. Upholds organizational values of customer service, professionalism and positive attitude.
- Problem solving ability; ability to use good judgment, courtesy and tact in interactions with others and in handling problems.
- Ability to represent the agency in a professional, positive manner.
- Ability to maintain effective and harmonious relations with other employees, clients and their family members or representatives.
- Ability to interact and work in a team effort in service delivery.
- Familiarity with the problems and issues confronting the elderly and disabled in the local community.
- Ability to speak, write, read and understand English with proficiency.
- Possession of a current Michigan Driver’s license and access to an insured, reliable, personal vehicle for use.
- Ability to pass a Criminal History background review through the Michigan State Police ICHAT, Michigan Public Sex Offender Registry, and the National Sex Offender Registry.
- Willingness to obtain TB test, annual flu shot or other immunizations as recommended.
- Ability to lift items such as groceries and push and pull a vacuum. Ability to tolerate scent of common cleaning supplies.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee occupying this position. Employees are required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by the Assistant Director.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and abilities. To perform the job successfully, the employee will possess the abilities to perform each duty proficiently.
The Crawford County Commission on Aging does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.